Minutes of May 6, 2010 Regular Meeting







Rockland, Maine                                                                                                                              May 6, 2010

 

The regular meeting of the RSU #13 Board of Directors was held on Thursday, May 6, 2010 in the conference room at the McLain Building.  Present were:

                                                Ruth Anne Hohfeld, Chair                            South Thomaston

                                                Loren Andrews                                                 Cushing

                                                Sally Carleton                                                     Owls Head

                                                Steven Dyer                                                       Rockland

                                                George Emery                                                   St. George

                                                Gregory Hamlin                                                                Thomaston

                                                James Kalloch                                                    Rockland

                                                Esther Kilgour                                                    Rockland

Brian Messing                                                    Rockland

Julie Sanborn (7:25PM)                                 Thomaston

                                                Josiah Wilson                                                     St. George

                                                Patricia Moran-Wotton                                 Rockland

Absent (Excused):           Jamie Doubleday, Vice-Chair                      Thomaston

 

1.  CALL TO ORDER AND DECLARATION OF A QUORUM. 

Meeting was called to order by the Chair at 6:30PM.  A quorum was declared.

 

2.  COLLECTIVE BARGAINING & PERSONNEL (IN EXECUTIVE SESSION)

The Superintendent explained that the Executive Session was not needed at this time.

 

 3 PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE.   4. ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA

 The Pledge of Allegiance to the United States flag was given.  Adjustments to the agenda were made.

 

5.  PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

The following people spoke to the Board regarding configuration of St. George School:  Jennifer Garrett and Josh McPhail.  Chair thanked the participants.  NO ACTION.

 

6.  COMMUNICATIONS

Superintendent reported that a letter has been received from the New England Association of Schools and Colleges honoring the request to have the RDHS accreditation be in the fall of 2012.  NO ACTION.

 

7.  CONSENT AGENDA

It was moved by Esther Kilgour and seconded by Steven Dyer to approve the Consent Agenda as follows:

a.  Approval of the minutes of the regular meeting of April 1, 2010, budget work sessions of April 5, 7,  12, and

14th, and Special Budget meeting of April 26, 2010.

b.  Reduction of custodian at McLain School from 4 hours per day to 2 hours per day.

c.  Approval of policies in second reading:

                1.  Policy 2.02 Graduation Requirements Policy and Procedures.

d.  Employment of fall coaches who are not regular employees of RSU 13:

1.  Tim Hoppe as GVHS Varsity Golf Coach

2.  Darryl Townsend as GVHS Varsity Girls Soccer Coach

3.  David Banda as GVHS JV Girls Soccer Coach

4.  Scott Johnson as GVHS Varsity Boys Soccer Coach

5.  Richard Barratt as RDHS Assistant Football Coach

6.  Karl Meklin as RDHS Assistant Football Coach

7.  Rick Bagnall as RDHS Assistant Football Coach

PAGE 2                                                 REGULAR MEETING                                                        MAY 6, 2010

 

8.  Keenan Flanagan as RDHS Head Golf Coach

9.  Shawn Hiller as RDHS Assistant JV Boys Soccer Coach

10. Becky Howard as RDHS Head Fall Cheering Coach (funded outside of budget)

11. Wes Drinkwater as RDMS Volunteer Assistant Football Coach

12. Andrea Garver as RDMS Head Field Hockey Coach

13. Andrea Curtis as RDMS Head Fall Cheering Coach (funded outside of budget.

e.  Approval of 2010-2011 School Calendar.Approval of minutes of the regular meeting of March 4, 2010

11 FOR (781) 2 ABSENT (Doubleday, Sanborn/146) 1 ABSTENTION (Wilson/72). VOTED.

 

8.  REPORTS

a.  Report of the Superintendent.  Judith Lucarelli reported on the following items:  1) as of April 30, 2010, the RSU #13 enrollment was 2,128 students in Grades K-12. 2) Reviewed the status of four construction applications – Gilford Butler, Owls Head, GVHS and RDHS.  These will be brought forward to the Board for a vote in June.  3) Reviewed the AYP Status for the schools in RSU #13, and 4) the budget flier is at the printers `and will be ready for distribution soon.  NO ACTION.

 

b.  REPORT OF THE CHAIR

Ruth Anne Hohfeld reported on the following:  1) Thanked Sylvia Percy, art teacher at St. George and Cushing, for the beautiful display in the Board room.  2) During Teacher Appreciation Day, flowers were presented to all employees in the facilities.  3)  Encouraged Board members to attend as many activities in the buildings as possible.  4) Reported that a special meeting will be held on June 9th at 6PM in executive session to discuss negotiations.  NO ACTION.

 

c.  Report on K-5 Transition Planning.  Principal Todd Martin reported on the transition of MacDougal School  K-1 students to South School for 2010-2011 and the proposed configuration of the school.  Principal Kathryn Hollicker reported on the transition of South School 5th graders into Rockland District Middle School.  Mr. Martin further noted that there will be a community “Farewell to MacDougal School” on June 2nd at 6PM.  NO ACTION.

 

9.  BUSINESS ITEMS

a.  Action on Superintendent’s Nominations of Probationary Teachers

1.  To a First Continuing Contract:

Jesse Bartke, Special Education Teacher, east

Nicholas Blais, Social Studies Teacher, east

Joanna Hall, Physical Education Teacher, east

Audra Hilchey, Elementary Teacher, west

Karen Matthews, Special Education Teacher, east

Beverly Pacheco, Vocal Music Teacher, west

Matthew Petrie, Physical Education, east [0.9 FTE]

Dianne Possee, School Psych Examiner, east

Kirsten Reuter, Elementary Teacher, east

Adam Roberge, Science Teacher, east

Donna Tochterman, Elementary Teacher, east

Christina Wotton, Special Education Teacher, west

11 FOR (854) 1 OPPOSED (Wilson/72) 1 ABSENT (73).  VOTED

 

 

 

PAGE 3                                                 REGULAR MEETING                                                        MAY 6, 2010

 

2.  To a Second Probationary Contract:

Adam Bullard, Special Education Teacher, east

Hope Hersom, Guidance Counselor, east

John Hodges, Science Teacher, west

Jessica Hutchins, Elementary Teacher, east

Victoria Johnson, Special Education Teacher, west

Andrea Lovell, Reading Interventionist Teacher, west

Karen Nelson, Music Teacher , east [0.9 FTE]

Lori Taylor, Literacy Coach, east

Benjamin Tripp, Elementary Teacher, east

Sheri Webert, Speech, east

Jennifer West, Special Education, east

11 FOR (854) 1 OPPOSED (Wilson/72) 1 ABSENT (73).  VOTED

 

b.  Approve Proposed 2010-2011 Budget and Sign Warrants

 

1.  Approve Proposed 2010-2011 Budget and Sign Warrants

It was moved by Steven Dyer and seconded by Loren Andrews that the warrant for the Regional School Unit Budget Meeting presented to the meeting be and is hereby approved and that the Regional School Unit budget meeting be and is hereby called for June 1, 2010 for the purpose of voting on the annual budget for the Regional School Unit for the 2010-2011 fiscal year.  Further voted that the Warrant and Notice of Election for the Regional School Unit Budget Validation Referendum presented to the meeting be and is hereby approved, and that the Regional School Unit budget validation referendum be and is hereby called for June 8, 2010 for the purpose of approving the budget adopted at the Regional School Unit budget meeting for the 2010-2011 fiscal year and considering whether to continue the budget validation referendum process. And be it further voted that the form of Notice of Amounts Adopted at Budget Meeting presented to this meeting be and is hereby approved, and that the Superintendent of Schools of the Regional School Unit is hereby authorized and directed to complete said Notice by adding the amounts approved by the voters for each expenditure category and the total school budget summary expenditure amount, all in accordance with the Regional School Unit budget meeting on June 1, 2010, and to cause copies of said notice, as completed, to be delivered to the municipal clerks of each municipality of the Regional School Unit for posting at the polling places for the June 8, 2010 Regional School Unit budget validation referendum.  12 FOR (926) 1 ABSENT (73). VOTED.

The Board members signed the warrants for posting in the six municipalities.

 

2.  Schedule Informational Meetings:

                6:00PM on Monday, May 24, 2010 at McLain School.  This will be televised.

                6:00PM on Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at Georges Valley High School

 

3.  Schedule District Meeting to Approve the Budget:

                6:00PM on Tuesday, June 1, 2010 at Rockland District High School

 

4.  Schedule Budget Validation Referendum:

                Tuesday, June 8, 2010 in the various voting places in the municipalities.

 

 

PAGE  4                                                                REGULAR MEETING                                                        MAY 6, 2010

 

c.  Consideration of Revised Charter for High School Study Group

Neal Guyer, Curriculum Director, presented information on the 8-12 Transition Advisory Group.  A question and answer period followed.

 

It was moved by Esther Kilgour and seconded by Loren Andrews that the Board accept the Charter with the provisions that all meetings be posted in advance to allow for public attendance, that one community member from the former MSAD #50 and MSAD #5 be added to the committee, and that three Middle School teachers (one each from Rockland District Middle School, Thomaston Grammar School and St. George School)

be appointed to the committee.  10 FOR (774)  2 OPPOSED (Dyer, Wilson/152) 1 ABSENT (73). VOTED.

 

d.  Appoint Committee to Name Secondary Schools

Esther Kilgour, Chair of the Activities Committee, reported on a meeting May 5th to choose the committee to screen and come up with the names of the schools; mascot.  The make-up of the committee is as follows:

                                Gregory Hamlin                                                                Facilitator

                                Bailee Cox                                                           Representative, St. George

                                Walker Ranney                                                 Representative, Thomaston Grammar

                                Ashley Pezanowski                                         Representative, RDMS

                                Rose Hohfeld                                                     Representative, RDHS

                                Tamara Wallace                                                                Representative, GVHS

                                Michelle Philbrook                                          Representative, Rockland

                                Ann Brown                                                         Representative, Rockland

                                Andrea Curtis                                                    Representative, Rockland

                                Morris Berry                                                       Representative, St. George

                                Rusty Worcester                                              Representative, Cushing

                                Charles Grover                                                  Representative, Cushing

                                Trina Johnson                                                    Representative, Thomaston

                                Patrick Johnson                                                                Alternate, RDHS

She reviewed the list of duties for the committee, and noted that no one volunteered from either Owls Head or South Thomaston.

 

10.  COMMITTEE REPORTS AND UP-COMING MEETINGS

a.   Activities Committee

Esther Kilgour, Chair, reported that the Activities Committee will be meeting again on Tuesday, May 25th at 5PM.  NO ACTION.

 

b.  Curriculum Committee

Sally Carleton, Chair, reported on a recent meeting held May 4, 2010 at the Herring Gut Learning Center in Port Clyde to review their middle level alternative education program.  Also discussed were the Jules Verne Foreign language application and the staff development day on May 14th.  Next meeting will be on June 2nd at 6:30PM.

 

c.  Facilities & Transportation Committee

Greg Hamlin, Chair, reported on a meeting held April 13th to discuss the facility audits and construction applications.  The Transportation software has been received and Todd Johnston and Scott Hall have been taking classes.  He further noted that 25 our of 28 buses were inspected by the Maine State Policy, all but one passed and that bus has been fixed. The next meeting will be May 11th at 5:30PM.  NO ACTION.

 

 

 

PAGE 5                                                 REGULAR MEETING                                                        MAY 6, 2010

 

d.  Finance and Insurance Committee

Brian Messing, Chair, discussed a meeting held April 8th.  Revenue projections were reviewed.  Next meeting is May 13th at 6:00PM.  NO ACTION.

 

e.  Personnel and Negotiations.

In the absence of the Committee Chair, Ruth Anne Hohfeld reported that negotiations are currently on-going.  NO ACTION.

 

f.  Policy Committee

James Kalloch, Chair, reported that the next meeting will be May 18th at 5:30PM at which time the committee will review the Student Conduct Policy.  NO ACTION.

 

g.  Technology Committee

Loren Andrews, Chair, reported that the next meeting will be May 15th at 6:30PM.  NO ACTION.

 

h.  Mid-Coast School of Technology

James Kalloch, Board Representative, reported on a recent meeting.  The Board reviewed the new graphic arts program, and approved the curriculum for the new EMT course.  Next meeting will be May 26th at 7:00PM.

NO ACTION.

 

i.  Many Flags/One Campus

In the absence of Jamie Doubleday, Loren Andrews reported, that no word has been received from the state with regard to RSU #13’s application.  NO ACTION.

 

Question from the public added to the agenda

It was moved by Josiah Wilson and seconded by Steven Dyer that the Board open the meeting to allow public comment.  11 FOR (845)  1 OPPOSED (Hohfeld/81) 1 ABSENT (73). VOTED.

 

A question about an item on the June 3rd agenda was asked by Jennifer Garrett of St. George.  NO ACTION.

 

Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Board will be on June 3, 2010 at 6:30PM.

 

11.  ADJOURNMENT

It was moved by Steven Dyer and seconded by Esther Kilgour that the meeting be adjourned.  12 FOR (926) 1 ABSENT (73).  VOTED.

 

Meeting adjourned at 9:16PM.

 

 

 

                                                _________________________________________________

                                                Dr. Judith M. Lucarelli, Secretary/RSU #13 Board of Directors